Sign up for our FREE newsletter today!
SIGN UP >
Rules and Regulations
Primitive Camping & Park Regulations
For your convenience and safety, please follow the following rules:
- A camping permit is required for all campsites. You may obtain one from the campground manager’s office or trailer at Lake Shelby.
- If you choose a primitive camp site in the back primitive camping area, you may either backpack in or check out a key and drive back to your campsite.
- If you choose to drive into the area past the gates, ALWAYS LOCK GATES BEHIND YOU. You must check out a key from the Lake Shelby Manager. For camping only.
- DO NOT PARK VEHICLE IN CAMP SITE AREA. Park out away from your site. In some cases, driving to campsites may not be allowed due to wet and muddy conditions.
- Restrooms are not available in Primitive Camping Area. If you do not use the front bathrooms and choose to have a latrine area, PLEASE DIG HOLE AND BURY HUMAN WASTE AND TISSUE.
- Please use trash cans in camp sites and pick up after yourself before leaving.
- Do not locate latrine close to trail or camp site.
- Do not disturb wildlife or wetlands area.
- Do not cut any live trees or standing dead trees for firewood. Firewood for sale at office.
- Set up tents on designated tent pads or in designated area only.
- Use camp fire rings for fires only. Extinguish fires before leaving.
- Do not disturb underbrush along trail.
- Do not drive through the tree nursery. Drive around perimeter along tree line.
- No swimming, fireworks, alcohol, fire arms or hunting at Lake Shelby.
- The Parks Department is not responsible for damaged or stolen personal articles or equipment.